I view a new month as a mini-new beginning. I like to look back on the past month, do a small pros-cons list, and set new goals.August had many pros and cons. And I did some major mental processing....let me think outloud for a moment:
Eating:
Here's a shocker, right? Last month was held hostage by the lure of restaurants screaming my name. I make menu's at the beginning of every week. If you walked into my kitchen and looked at last month's menus....you won't see much more than a huge list of restaurants. Yikes. I vowed that this month would be different. Granted, we had fun, shared new tastes with friends, and surprisingly I only gained +0.4 pounds through it all. I watched my portions, took home doggy bags, and ordered wisely. But, it would have been nice to put some home-cooked meals on the table.
Dieting:
I will admit to anyone that asks me- I went on one crazy diet to lose 30 pounds. It was worth it...and I learned alot about myself along the way. But it took all the energy I had, and willpower, to do it. I'm 20 pounds away from being at what I consider "an ideal weight for me". I'm not going to lie, I got myself all psyched up to do crazy diet again to lose the last 20 pounds...started on Monday...and I quit last night. I have been sooooo focused on the numbers on the scale that I have overlooked my current happiness. Food Eating has been SUCH a struggle and idol the last 4 years of my life. So many times, I tried to justify what I was doing by saying, "Oh, I just really love food". Totally not the case. I loved to EAT. Period. It was never about the food. What I was eating could barely even be classified as food. Processed crap from boxes, chips, candy bars, ice cream, fast food.....chemicals, sugar, and more sugar. Not food. I wasn't nourishing my body. I wasn't giving my body fuel. I wasn't even truly enjoying what I was putting in my mouth.
(You are probably wondering where all this is coming from and where I am going.....hold on.... I am about to answer all of that.)
My blog:
I am bored with my blog. Posting a big number and talking about my weight loss is boring. You are bored. I am bored. I'm going to fix that.
How:
Well, I am going to change my focus. I stumbled upon a blog that I thoroughly enjoy these days. She is a foodie, a gym rat, and a wife. We are the same age....struggle(d) with our weight....and have started a new life. As much as I want to steal everything that she does on her blog, I will not do that. Instead, I will use her as a role model and stick to my own ideas.
What's up my sleeve:
I want to make this blog a true journey. A tool for me to educate myself (and you), a journal of my ups and downs, a portal to keep me cooking instead of frequenting restaurants, and a vessel of happiness. (that was kinda corny, but I'm not backspacing). From now on, I will share with you what I am cooking, what I am reading, what I am learning about myself, what I am enjoying, and how I am leading a healthier, diet-free*, happy life.
(*diet-free = no more obsessing about food, freaking out about the scale, restricting foods, or reading diet books. Yes, I still want to lose the last 20 pounds...but I'm going to do it the fun way)
What I need from you:
Hold on- I still need your help. I need you to keep me accountable...to stick to my guns....to stay on track. I am very flighty. Comments are like, um, breath to whistle. (?) The more I get, the stronger my posts will be. If that makes sense. (i totally just chuckled to myself)
Okay people. I have to go start researching my menu for next week. We have company this weekend...so I will officially begin this new, fresh adventure on Monday, September 13th. (i just got really excited!)
This will be fun. really fun.

I think this is great! I understand your struggle. I'm definitely too obsessed with the number on the scale. I think that is easy to do. I look forward to reading about your journey and getting some encouragement from it.
ReplyDeletei'm excited! :)
ReplyDeleteDiet free is the way to be! It is hard to make educated and healthful decisions about food when the grocery stores are stocked full of packaged food (full of vitamins and mineral- riiiiight). I love what you are doing and will love sharing recipes! Trader Joe's and Whole Food are great places to get creative and healthy ideas. They really helped me get out of the habit of the college student diet.
ReplyDeleteSome of my favorite food discoveries:
-brussel sprouts with garlic, rosemary. They have a bad reputation, but are actually so good!
-substitute banana or applesauce for oil/butter in your favorite muffins/cookies. This allows me to cut sugar out too, because the fruit is sweet. I changed my fav. choc. chip cookies to a dark chocolate chip, banana-walnut cookie and they are better than the original!!
-lentils. lentils. lentils. Simple to make, spice up, and full of protein. Cheap and filling.
-roast vegetables in the oven. Cabbage, asparagus, onions, potatoes, green beans... the oven makes them awesome!
Okay, I wrote enough. Love ya girl!