9.19.2011

Confessions.

Last night on the way to church my mind was traveling in a million different directions. Maybe not a true million, but too many to count. 

To-Do lists. 
Homework. 
Running. 
Chores. 
Birthdays. 
Menu. 
Budget. 
Schedules. 
Emotions. 

And then, it hit me. And it hit me hard.

I am not giving 100% in any area of my life.
Not one area.

It was probably the most gut-wrenching-honest thing I have told myself in a really long time. I can't talk myself out of it, I can't sugarcoat it, I can't justify it away. It is true. 

Truth: 
  • I am ridiculously behind on my reading for my classes. I failed a test last week. So what percentage would I say I am giving school right now? Maybe 55% 
  • I haven't cracked open my bible to read it (outside of church) in a good solid 2 months. So what precentage would I say I am giving to God right now? If I count tithing, 10%, but outside of that...5%. 
  • Matt and I have a half marathon coming up on October 2nd, 13 days away. So what percentage would I say I am giving to training right now? 30%...on a good week. 
  • This blog...I haven't blogged in almost 2 weeks. So what percentage would I say I am giving to this blog right now? 25%. I still take the pictures, and write pretend blog posts in my head everyday.  
  • Two part time jobs that only add up to about 12-16 hours a week. So what would I say I am giving while on shift right? 80%. Probably the highest percentage across the board of all combined things in my life right now....but I could and should be doing so much higher since I get a paycheck out of it. 
  • I have been stuck at 162-164lbs since March. So what would I say I am giving towards weight loss goals right now? 13%. It could probably be higher, but I am judging myself hard in the category because I am not drinking enough water each day, eating breakfast consistently, and I still let myself skip a meal too many times a week. Somebody slap me.

I could go on, and on, and on about all the other areas of my life that suck right now, but I don't want to. I've admitted I have a problem. That's step one, right? Yes. Now I have to figure out what my problem is and how to resolve this annoying new habit of mediocre bullshit.

1) Get in a routine and stick to it. If I miss a step, so what- keep going. Don't blow a whole day off just cause you overslept by 10 minutes. 
2) Prioritize. 
3) Get accountability. 
4) Take one day a week to do nothing of importance and relax. One day. Not six days. {big.fat.lazy.bum.}
5) Stop negative talk. 

Do you have any suggestions? Have you ever realized you are not giving your all?

2 comments:

  1. Someone just told me this week...

    "give me a kick ass half rather than a half assed whole."

    Meaning... it's okay to not get everything done... there's not time to get everything done on your list. But, if you could focus and kick ass on half of everything... MAN! that would be improvement.

    He also said 15% improvement will radically change how we do things while a 15% decline can sink us. So, instead of looking at a monumental change in us, what would it take to change 15%.

    Those are the two thoughts running through my head this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to do accountability/ weekly encouragement with me? I could use help in these areas too!

    ReplyDelete