4.03.2011

Book Reviews:

I finished two books in March. 


Farm Sanctuary: 
Nothing that I say about this book will even come close to doing it justice. I was blown away by their passion, heartbroken by their witness of animal cruelty,  outraged at the government by the lies they "feed us", encouraged by the message of hope that this farm has brought to so many adorable farm animals, and overall just in awe of this courageous group of people that put animal rights on the map. Their heart-felt passion is contagious.

This book opened by eyes again to what animals go through everyday second to end up on our table. We all just assume they were happy little cows, pigs, and chickens prancing around rolling green hills with nicknames, being fed grass and nutritous grains. Lies.Lies.Lies. I challenge you to pick up this book and not put it down until the last page. 

I love their website. Wanna adopt a rescued animal that is living on their farm? YOU CAN! I dare you to click on their link....but guard your heart because you are going to fall in love.

Skinny Bitch:
I honestly didn't have much expectation as I started this book. It was short, and honestly, I thought it would be more humorous that serious. I was shocked. And not just by her use of the "F" word, but by the truth that the authors brought to me. It wasn't rocket science, just bare-bones-in-your-face-gospel about what you should and should not be shoving in your face. Thank you, ladies! In the back of the book they list all the toxic additives that are found in processed foods, and a huge list of vitamins that are essential for great health. Very resourceful!
 
In the middle of the book, they also went into gruesome detail about what happens in factory farms. They did not sugar coat anything. At one point, I started crying.
 
Both books, in their own uniquely different way, have really challenged me to look at my life. It is so easy for me to ignore the importance of supporting local grocery stores. I repeatedly get sucked in by Walmart's low prices...especially once I realized that they are starting to carry some of the vegan products that I get at the regular grocery stores. For example: My favorite peanut butter is $3.68 at Walmart, and $4.99 or higher at local stores.
  
Important notes I took away from these books: 
  • Support Local. 
  • Adopt an animal. 
  • Know my food. 
  • "Love yourself enough to do whatever it takes to be the best you you can be."
  • Read ingredients. If you can't pronounce something, Do.Not.Eat.It.
  • "The Journey is just as important as the end result".

Both these pictures are from 2007. They make me shake my head in shame but it feels sooooo good to put that blue shirt on now.....
it's too big. *grin*

0 comments:

Post a Comment