1.11.2011

This is what I learned today....

1) Always make sure the blender is clean before you start a recipe. A blender cannot be cleaned quickly. Or with a sink full of dirty dishes.

2) Never leave a cabinet door open. My kitchen shook tonight while the cabinet door was left open, my bowls shifted, and a glass pyrex pie dish shatter into a million tiny pieces as it hit the floor. This picture does not capture how many chunks of glass were everywhere.
3) Due to #2, it is smart to wear socks or shoes while in the kitchen cooking. 

4) I don't understand weight loss. This morning's weigh-in told me that I have gained 3 pounds in a day. One day. Three pounds. I will admit that I had 2 pieces of veggie pizza at a meeting last night, but come on! Three pounds in a day. 
 
I also learned that tonight's recipe continued to let me know that giving up meat is not the end of delightful meals. 
 Smokey Southwest Sweet Potato Shepard's Pie 
Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson

3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 chipotle chiles in adobo
2 tbsp of water
2 tbsp of vegan margarine
salt and black pepper
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 medium yellow once, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1-1/2 cups thawed frozen corn
1-1/2 cups tomato salsa
1/2 tsp of cumin

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil 13X9 baking pan and set aside. Steam the potatoes until just tender, about 12 minutes. While the potatoes are steaming, in a blender or food processor, puree the chiles with the water and set aside.
2) Mash the steamed potatoes with half the chipotle puree, the margarine, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3) In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots, cover, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to the prepared pan. Add the beans, corn salsa, cumin, and the remaining chipotle puree. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
4) Spread the mashed potatoes evenly on the top of the bean mixture. Back until the filling is hot, about 40 minutes. Serve hot.


0 comments:

Post a Comment