3.27.2014

Book report- Mud Season.

I picked this book from the library for two reasons: 

1) She used to live in St. Louis. Went on vacation to Vermont and thought to herself, "Wouldn't it be nice to move here? It's so beautiful!". I love people who do crazy things like that. She sold her business, packed up her family, and they moved to Vermont to a small town and ended up purchasing a family grocery store. Well done, lady, well done. 

2) Since moving to a different part of  the city (not very far from our last apartment, but far enough that we have a "new" library branch that is now closer to us) I cannot for the life of me find a library book on my own. Seriously. It's three floors, while our other one on Kingshighway was just one small floor. And some sections go by the numbers, some by alphabetical order of author, and then some books are just randomly on display throughout all three floors. It's instantly overwhelming for me. Anyway, on the second floor there are two huge display shelves were books magically appear. This is my safe place. I normally scan the ones already at arms length and choose a book from there so I don't have to roam aimlessly hoping to find the book I actually want. Or, if my patience is working, I reserve a book online and then all I have to do is walk up to the counter 3 days to 3 weeks later and the book is there waiting for me. (Update: Just yesterday, I returned a book AND found a book all by myself by looking it up in the computer. Confession: It took me about 20 minutes, going from the first floor to the second floor two times, but I was determined to not leave until I found the book.Success.) 

Back to the book. I haven't finished it. And, I am not going to finish it. I am bored. Yes, I love her stories of how they moved, the craziness of renovating a old victorian house, how the neighbors in the small town do not warm to them nicely, and how they came to buy the store. But, I thought it would go somewhere, and once I hit over half way through the book, I completely lost desire to keep reading. 

I did write down to things from the book that actually made me think about my own life: 

"Did we choose to live in the Midwest 'with intention', or were we just living there 'by habit'? " 

"One of the ironies of being me is that I crave change but I am not good at transitions." 

Her question about living with intention really hit me. Matt and I have been here for almost 9 years (well, technically, I hit 9 years in February since I moved here first). Now that we have a house and have roots here, I feel that we should be more "involved". Now, what exactly does that mean and what does it look like to be "involved"? I have no idea. But it's something to think about and to work towards finding meaning to. 

The other quote was something that I feel that described a part of me that I have never been able to put into words. I am guilty of loving change, but suck at putting work into accepting change or changing a habit. It was good to read that. 

1 comment:

  1. It took me over 25 years to realize that you just don't put one foot in front of the other. There needs to be "purpose"...whether raising a family, donating time at a shelter, mission work, etc. God didn't put us here to just vegetate.

    ReplyDelete