7.12.2011

Freaky-Leaky

We started a CSA pick-up 2 weeks ago. When I get my act together, I will start posting my weekly goodie bags. I have started to grocery shop on Friday's now. My routine goes alittle like this: work out class (ends next friday..boo), swing by the soulard farmer's market to pick up some goods, swing by Maude's to pick up my CSA share, swing by the Companion Early Bird Outlet for bready deliciousness at cheap prices, and then home. I sit down with my cookbooks and work out a menu with what I have in front of me, and make the list of things I will still need on Saturday morning from the Tower Grove Farmer's Market and Local Harvest. 
Soulard: limes, big bag of oats, lil' bag of TVP, CSA: amazing peaches, cantaloupe, leaks, black beans,blueberry scones, cucumbers, swiss chard, mint, Japanese turnips, Companion: honey wheat bread (forgot to take a picture from Tower Grove Farmers Market &Local Harvest)
It is pure delight.

Tonight I made Onion and Leak Risotto. I got two leeks in last week's CSA share. I made sauteed swiss chard and leaks with one, and popped the remaining stem in this recipe. SCORE! 

 

Onion and leak risotto 
from sweet paul
Serves 4

Risotto takes time, but the result is so good.
And remember, the risotto must never wait for the guests, the guests must always wait for the risotto.


 1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1/3 leek, just the white parts, thinly sliced
1 cup Arborio rice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cups chicken stock, warm
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup parmesan, grated
salt
pepper

In a saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium heat.
Saute onion and leaks until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add rice, cook, stirring until well coated.
Add lemon juice, cook for 1 minute.
Add 1 cup of warm broth.
Cook, stirring frequently, until absorbed.
Continue adding broth, 1 cup at a time.
Cook the risotto for about 20-25 minutes.
The rice should be tender.
Add butter and 3/4 cup parmesan.
Stir well.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately with the rest of the parmesan on top.

0 comments:

Post a Comment