7.12.2011

Joplin {in picture}

 
On June 23rd, Matt and I went with a group of friends from the Journey to Joplin, Mo for disaster relief work. Our two day mission: to demolish what remained of a tornado ravished home. By hand. 

Pulling up to the house on the first day, it was hard to even figure out where to start. It was hard both physically and mentally. Emotionally, I didn't even know where to begin.

As we started removing bedroom furniture, dragging rakes through piles of debris on the floors, it didn't take long for me to realize that I was raking away the physical belongs of what was left of this family after an F5 tornado. Heartbreaking doesn't even begin to describe it. 

Question after question flooded my mind the entire weekend; Where is the family now? Where were they in the house when it hit? Were they able to get anything out of the house? What is next for them? What would I do in this situation? Who is loving on them? Will I get to hug them this weekend? Why is this rocking my world? What do the X's mean on the houses around town? Is this the new "normal" for Joplin?

I am embarrassed to admit that I used to get excited when I saw big blobs of pink coming towards St. Louis on the weather radar. Storms have always fascinated me...but standing at this scene grounded me. After just two days in Joplin, I will never be the same.







 This map outlines the path of the tornado. 6 miles right down the middle of town. 1 mile wide at the largest width. 
Can you image what that would do to your town?









 Mission complete. Down to the concrete. 
This is what her house looked like before May 22, 2011. I encourage you to pray for this family, for their healing and for their future.

It is very easy to feel helpless after looking at these pictures. I must add, the pictures don't mean anything until you see it in person. The town will never be the same. No one will be able to drive through Joplin, Mo and not see the marks left by this tornado. As much as the devastation is overwhelming, you could not shake the feeling of community and strength. No matter where you were, you could taste love and God's mercy.

Joplin, you stole my heart. 

Please visit Mission Joplin to find out ways you can help.

Please continue to pray for Joplin, for their leaders, their church pastors, the law enforcement, the survivors.

0 comments:

Post a Comment