Our section of the basement has been looking pretty rough the last couple months. I put it on my to-do list last week to spend alittle time with our hodge-podge of randomness and get it under control.
After:
I think Tilly enjoyed my morning of organization the best. I brought up one of my favorite chairs that has been waiting patiently for me to find a home for in our tiny apartment. A home I did find today!
That furry turd took 5 minutes to snuggle in....and she is still zonked out in the same position!I had high hopes of reading a book in that chair tonight. Sigh.
With the basement checked off my list, I moved on to a more personal tackle-ment. (I love when I make up words)
I have noticed in the last two weeks that I have started skipping meals. And by skip, I mean- no breakfast, no lunch, and a very late dinner. I honestly don't know where it came from, why I am doing it, or how I have survived doing it. But, today it had to stop!
I follow a number of Healthy Living Blogs and each of the girls take pictures of what they eat during the day. So, starting today, I am going to steal their idea. I ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sat at the table. ENJOYED my food. And reaped the benefits of meal-time.
Breakfast: green monster
1 cup of soymilk, 2 handfuls of spinach leaves, 1 frozen banana, 1 spoonful of peanut butter, 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder, a tbsp of flaxseed.
Lunch: salad, watermelon, one slice of leftover homemade pizza.
{yes, that is pepperoni, I love my husband-he loves pepperoni pizza-he loves me when I make pepperoni pizza}
Dinner: bbq jackfruit sandwich, fresh green beans, and red mashed potatoes.
Tonight's dinner was a new one for us. It took me about 10 minutes to find this sucker at Jay's International Market.
{no one speaks english to ask questions}
Opened the can, followed the directions in the recipe, and 12 minutes later, my house smelled like bbq. CRAZY.
Look at that...
It smelled and looked like pork.
Serves 2 by Chow Vegan
1 20 ounce can young green jackfruit in brine
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt
1/2 cup + extra BBQ sauce, bottled or homemade
Hamburger buns
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt
1/2 cup + extra BBQ sauce, bottled or homemade
Hamburger buns
Drain and wash the jackfruit in several changes of water. After washing, squeeze out as much water as you can.
In a pan, heat the oil and sauté the garlic. Add the jackfruit and salt to taste, and cook for a 3-4 minutes over medium heat.
Transfer the jackfruit to a slow cooker, add the BBQ sauce and mix well. Set the cooker for 1 hour, occasionally stirring and adding more sauce or water as needed. The jackfruit should be fork tender and come apart easily.
Take the jackfruit out of the cooker and shred with a fork. Let the jackfruit sit for several hours or overnight to further develop the flavor or if it taste good to you right out of the pot, dig in. Serve on toasted buns with your choice of more BBQ sauce, mayo, coleslaw or pickles.
first, good job on the organizing!
ReplyDeletesecond, i love green smoothies. but i don't eat soy so i use almond milk. very tasty!
third, how does the jackfruit taste? what's the texture like? i'm intrigued. if it's decent, i'd be willing to treck to the local international grocery!